The Center for Breast Health
The Center for Breast Health provides screening and a wide range of diagnostic procedures to more than 10,000 patients a year. We are proud to offer the community digital mammography, a new state-of-the-art technology that helps physicians better detect and diagnose breast cancer and also makes the process faster and more comfortable for the patient. The Center has also added new equipment in order to do stereotactic breast biopsies— which are a minimally invasive biopsy of an abnormal area, using a computer to help position the needle and a vacuum system to obtain the tissue sample.
- Screening and diagnostic mammograms—a non-invasive procedure using low-dose radiation to detect or evaluate changes in breast tissue
- Breast ultrasound—a non-invasive, radiation-free exam using sound waves to produce an image
- Ultrasound guided breast biopsy— a minimally invasive biopsy using ultrasound guidance to retrieve a tiny sample of an abnormal solid area for examination
- Breast MRI and MRI guided Breast Biopsy
- Cyst aspirations— removal of fluid in a sac using ultrasound guidance
- Bone density exams—a non-invasive low-dose radiation scanning of the back and hips to determine level of bone density
Both Northside Medical Center and ValleyCare Health Center, Austintown offer screening procedures, with biopsies and cyst aspirations taking place exclusively at the hospital. The Center for Breast Health also offers access to breast MRI, MRI guided breast biopsies and MRI CAD through ValleyCare Diagnostics.
Diagnostic services are provided by a staff of five doctors certified in radiology, including one who, for the past 12 years, has been reviewing mammograms 100% of the time. A computer-aided detection service is also used to provide a second review of mammograms.
All procedures are covered by health insurance with programs providing free exam for underserved women if they meet the criteria.
Main Office: 330-884-2200